Mortgage Servicing Fraud
occurs post loan origination when mortgage servicers use false statements and book-keeping entries, fabricated assignments, forged signatures and utter counterfeit intangible Notes to take a homeowner's property and equity.
Articles |The FORUM |Law Library |Videos | Fraudsters & Co. |File Complaints |How they STEAL |Search MSFraud |Contact Us
homeowner
I have posted in the past regarding our lender obtaining an attorney to file a foreclosure due to our being in default.  As was suggested by some on this forum, I sent a debt validation request to the attorney. This was November of last year.  We have received nothing back from the attorney.

The letter was sent return receipt requested and they received it within a few days.  We still receive bills from the lender saying that our loan is in foreclosure and they are still adding legal and inspection fees to our bill.

Is there a time limit for them to validate?  Does it usually take this long.  I know that nothing was recorded at our county office showing any transfer to this bank that was named as trustee for purposes of foreclosure.

Thanks for any advice.
Quote 0 0
The Equitable One
This isn't the most of complete and direct answers but its the best I can do.

I think the "validation" letter you sent falls under either (or perhaps both) the Fair Debt Collection practices Act (FDCPA) or the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA). You can find both of those online easily and a read of them should give you ideas for your next steps in re the validation letter.

If you're at the beginning of the process a very good read is the National consumer Law Center books on foreclosure, and also their publication relating to Truth in Lending Act and the Home Owners Equity Protection Act. I started reading the foreclosure book a couple of weeks ago and believe if I'd had access to that information at the beginning of my case I'd have won by now.

Quote 0 0
homeowner
Thank you!  I have actually searched for info on the the FDCPA, however, cannot find any info on what happens next.  All I can find is that they have to stop all collection procedures until the debt is properly validated. No foreclosure has been filed in court and I don't know if they even can without validation. So I am wondering can they charge all these fees pertaining to foreclosure and state on my bill that I am in foreclosure without anything being filed or validated. 

I will continue searching. I would love to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience. Thanks again!
Quote 0 0
Write a reply...