Mortgage Servicing Fraud
occurs post loan origination when mortgage servicers use false statements and book-keeping entries, fabricated assignments, forged signatures and utter counterfeit intangible Notes to take a homeowner's property and equity.
Articles |The FORUM |Law Library |Videos | Fraudsters & Co. |File Complaints |How they STEAL |Search MSFraud |Contact Us
arkygirl
The fires there are producing a tragedy that we can barely comprehend. Homes are being lost at a staggering rate. We have posters at this board who live in the area of these infernos and emails are not being answered....

I would say that FEMA could move the thousands of trailers parked in my state that were bought for Katrina victims to CA to help house these victims since there are no flood zones there. But it seems that in nineteen months NONE of those trailers have been tested for the formaldehyde levels. So, I suppose that the trailers will sit there until they rot after all.

One could just open the windows on the haul from AR to CA and that should resolve the issue and make the levels drop. Fresh air is a pretty good cure. I am sure that FEMA will figure this out years from now after running many expensive tests, but certainly not in time to freaking HELP anyone any time soon.

God save us from fires and storms and mortgage servicers, but above all else, save us from the retarded government under which we are forced to exist.

Quote 0 0
I agree

Well said - no further comments YOU GO arkygirl 

Quote 0 0
Joe B
AG-

I usually agree with your posts, but I am going to respectfully disagree with you here. I don't want to revisit our hurricane tragedies, and I will not here. However, let's look at the wildfires for a minute...

Tragic, yes...unheard of, no. Most homeowners have homeowners insurance that will pay them for the loss of their homes, property, and put them in suitable quarters until permanent residency can be re-established. Why should any trailers be necessary?

If there are homeowners without insurance, why should I pay for this? This was a calculated risk that they took. It is indeed a tragedy that they lost this particular gamble. However, if a driver without car insurance has an accident and must pay for his own car repairs (and various tickets for driving without insurance, etc), do we expect the government to give him a car until he can afford his own? Not likely... in fact, I think most people would have no sympathy at all!!

I give money to various charities that I have no doubt are racing there to help, and will really do a marvelous job supporting those that need and even those that don't. I point out that many of these organizations receive money from the gov't. (read tax dollars), pay no taxes, and donors that support them receive a tax break for doing so, and these organizations are generally terrific at what they do. In short, these organizations that are going to help are doing so with tremendous government support! I am also sure that there are governmental organizations that will also provide relief including various tax breaks, etc. for their losses and costs associated with obtaining new housing.

In short, I agree that it is tragic, but lets not beat up the government who didn't cause the fires (conspiracy theorists, please don't!), for not spending billions when there are already ample support systems in place to help, including countless organizations supported by our tax dollars. They also pay for the roads they can flee on, firefighters that are trying to save their property, etc.

I do pray for the people to get back on their feet quickly and for those that are fighting the fires and risking life and limb to save these people and their property!

JB

Quote 0 0
arkygirl
OK, Joe. YOU tell me...WHERE are all these people going to live while they rebuild their homes??? With or without insurance it will take TIME to rebuild on this massive a scale. Where will they live? In the alleys? In the canyons? With YOU? We'll send them all to your house, Joe, how about that!

The trailers are BOUGHT AND PAID for already by the government which stupidly "forgot" to check about zoning. Can't put trailers in flood zones like New Orleans....ooops! They are rotting at an airport near here. Why shouldn't they be used?

No one said the government caused the fires, they are a yearly occurrence. I respectfully remind people that there millions of dollars of wasted homes parked here that could be used for this crisis rather than wasted.

You are cold, man, really cold. If money trumps all in your mind, you are floating on the same level as mortgage servicers. And I do not mean that respectfully. It sounds as though you approve of government waste and sloth.
Quote 0 0
Joe B
AG-

I think you missed my point. However, that is your prerogative.

I am not cold, nor am I mean. You can decide for yourself, and it looks like you have. I did not take a shot at you personally, I just disagreed with one of your ideas. There is a big BIG difference. You however, have decided to attack me, and I think you have erred. I will not defend myself against this personal attack--comparing me to the servicers that are trying to take my house? WOW.

As far as where these people will live; there are myriad options, including hotels, extended stay and otherwise, renting private residences, etc. Right now, the fires have destroyed fewer than 1,300 homes. TRAGIC, absolutely!!! Make no mistake about it! However, I disagree that this qualifies as a massive scale! I have lived in developments with more homes. However, that's not the point. There are many ways to take care of these people while they rebuild.

I simply suggested that there are countless ways that exist right now in California to help them besides lugging trailers across the country, finding and buying land to place them on, running utilities, roads, infrastructure, etc. I am sorry you are angry about the FEMA trailers. Did the government or FEMA more specifically make mistakes in LA and MS? Absolutely, but let's not make another mistake to try to fix the first one! I am suggesting that it would likely be far cheaper to take care of these people in other ways with current infrastructure; that was my point.

I will not offer to let them live with me, because I don't quite have the room. However, after similar tragedies, I have offered many others that opportunity and some have taken me up on it; of course you would have no way of knowing that...

Nowhere in my post did I say anything about money trumping anything. I did suggest that it is not the government's responsibility to bail out people who have failed to protect themselves and their property by buying homeowners insurance. I did however, point out the countless ways that the government (you said retarded government) is set-up to help, and WILL help these people!

You asked where they would live? Well, my insurance company would allow me to live in various places until I could rebuild. Most insurance companies I have asked to quote on homeowners insurance at various times in my adult life would provide similarly. In short, if people have insurance, the trailers CAN stay put and rot. Is this government waste? Maybe, but surely avoiding the enormous expense of sending these trailers would be a huge SAVINGS! Let's put the governments relief efforts to a better use!

Sloth? Please AG, I don't recall suggesting anything about sloth. I am sorry you have an axe to grind, and even more sorry you decided to attack me personally because you didn't like the fact that I disagreed with you... I recall disagreeing with you, but not attacking you personally because I disagreed. I don't expect that I will change your mind, so I will just conclude that you stand firm on your opinion on both the trailers and me; so that will be that.

However, I will make another point here, that may have been glossed over: I do feel very sorry for these people who's lives have been turned upside down as a result of this tragedy, and they will be in my prayers along with the servicing fraud victims. However one thing is true, and I don't believe that anyone on this board can refute it: These people will have more press, more support, and more resources at their disposal than any victim of mortgage servicing fraud!

JB   
Quote 0 0
arkygirl
I apologize for the cheap shot as it was rudely worded and sounded worse than I intended. I think you are highly intelligent but your attitude does puzzle me. It seems that you take umbrage over the statement concerning "retarded government". Interesting...your point seems to be that we should not worry about these folks that have been burned out at all.

I simply put forth the premise that there will be NO PLACE LEFT (as in "few structures standing") to live for so many displaced people in the SoCal area. Entire towns are burning down. Where will they all go, with or without insurance? Will they be forced to abandon their jobs as well as being homeless and just leave? There IS going to be a housing crisis in that area. Or it will simply empty out like New Orleans and never recover? Oh, well, it is the fault of the people who chose to live there, I suppose. We are all searching for a nirvana that is not prone to fires, floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes and all that other unpleasantness, aren't we?

No it is not the government's job to bail anyone out, I agree wholeheartedly. However they have picked my pockets (and yours) claiming that part of that money would go to this type of aid. They bought acres of trailers with money they forcibly took from me. I just checked on the status of the trailers. The government is selling them...to itself! The trailers that cost us $40,000 to $45,000 each are being sold piecemeal to various "government agencies". What these government agencies are and what exactly they are doing with them is unspecified. These agencies are being charged $4,500 for each trailer. The taxpayers (me and everyone else here) are eating the loss. Why couldn't the trailers be sold to these displaced people for $4,500 to park on their own lots which is all they have left? There should not be a lot of infrastructure issues with this scenario. Why do they have to be sold to unspecified government agencies only? Why have they been left to rot here for so long?

This is bad business and mismanagement on a huge scale. It does not inspire any confidence in this government. I suspect fraud is involved as I figure there will be a trailer park springing up somewhere that will be full of these trailers. Several of them, no doubt. It sure looks like a "buddy deal" to me and I am sure that you will be reading about where these trailers wound up in the future. As for my portion of all those already lost dollars, I would just as soon see people who need these things be given an opportunity to buy them for the same price so that they aren't forced to abandon their entire lives. You would just as soon they not be made available to those in dire need, not "unspecified government agencies". It makes me furious!

I have survived having my home burn down in front of my eyes and losing a lifetime's worth of memories; I hope it never happens to you. We saved ourselves, the kids and the cats so I should be grateful. I would have really liked to have been able to get something reasonable to park on my lot and not have to live in a motel while I awaited rebuilding. But, you are right. Let the trailers rot down. Let all these people live in Qualcomm stadium for as long as it takes to rebuild their lives. Or Motel 6 or whatever might be left standing in the area when this is over. Why should they be offered the opportunity to buy something that was purchased for disaster relief in the first place?

The government will probably spend buttloads of money to build new housing or buy more trailers to help out. They are our keepers. And the insurance companies are our saviors. You know, those rats who do any and everything possible to keep from paying a claim when large-scale disasters strike. Those insurance companies will certainly start writing checks tomorrow because of their great compassion for victims of disaster. Unfortunately, all the insurance in the world will NOT speed up the rebuilding process. No amount of government intervention can speed up the process. That progresses at a snails pace regardless.

Wow, this will give the home builders a new lease on life, won't it? They will have jobs for a long time now. And then people can get brand new mortgages and wind up right here with all of us later when the servicers screw them over because we have retarded regulatory agencies.

Too bad we can't get insurance against bad mortgage servicers and retarded government. We would certainly be all set then! Insurance fixes everything...now I know the secret to a long and happy life. I just need to stop being such a bleeding heart and worrying about any problem that isn't mine alone. I need to go buy more insurance immediately. I will just assume that housing, a lot of housing, will just magically materialize and there is no need to fret over these wasted resources rotting away. The government will take care of it in its own retarded way.

Thanks, Joe. I have squandered many hours worrying about what all these people will do tomorrow. And next week. And the next. Because, you see, I know what is like to walk around with nothing but the clothes I am wearing and coming to the realization that I could not brush my teeth or comb my hair because I no longer owned the tools to do those things. Until you have been there you really can't know the impact when you first realize that you own nothing at all except a patch of dirt and a pile of rubble. I stupidly thought that offering these trailers to those folks would help them normalize their lives a little quicker by at least allowing them to live where they used to live sooner.

So, yeah, I still think the trailers could be put to better use. And you still do not. So I will not try to present my case any more strongly as we seem to be deadlocked. You seem to think that the government can fix it in its own way and its own time. I still think that the government is retarded and would hate to have to be at its mercy in any crisis. Heck I hate to be at its mercy when I have NO crisis!

Good luck with your servicing issues, Joe. Have you tried to contact any regulatory agencies to help you? Were they of any help to you? How about the court system? Do they help you? Or did you find the system in general to be pretty much uncaring that a servicer is trying to steal your home?

Quote 0 0

California fire victims will take comfort knowing EMC is there for them, milking this devastion in vain attempt to cleanse their egregious reputation.  It's going to take far more than empty press spin to even begin to amend for their nearly 20 years of Mortgage Servicing Fraud.  20 years behind bars is a good start. 

October 23, 2007 05:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time

EMC Mortgage Corporation Responds to Devastation of California Fires

LEWISVILLE, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In response to the catastrophic fires that have burned at least 1,300 homes and forced more than 500,000 residents to flee in Southern California, EMC Mortgage Corporation is implementing its emergency response and crisis management plan in support of its customers affected by the devastation.

We extend our heartfelt sympathies to the families and communities affected by this disaster, said John Vella, President and Chief Executive Officer of EMC Mortgage Corporation. This is an ongoing situation so we want to provide assistance to our customers now to help them through this very difficult time.

To ensure that EMC customers dealing with the fires receive the help they need with their home mortgages, the following steps are being taken:

• We have compiled an initial list of borrowers likely affected and we will be contacting customers to determine their needs.
  • We encourage affected EMC Mortgage borrowers to contact us on our Customer Service phone line at 1-800-723-3004 as soon as they can. Our mortgage representatives can provide our customers with assistance regarding their loan as well as information we have on file regarding their insurance carrier.
  • For the next 30 days, we will be ceasing all foreclosure and bankruptcy proceedings, negative credit reporting activity, late fees and collections calls to affected EMC Mortgage customers. Automatic adjustable rate mortgage (ARM) resets may be modified as needed.
  • When the fires are under control and extinguished, we will begin to assess our customers situations to determine if they need further assistance.

These guidelines are in effect for the areas affected by the fire disaster, however any of our EMC Mortgage customers worried about their ability to pay their mortgage is urged to call the EMC Mod Squad at 1-877-362-6631 to discuss the options available to assist them during financial hardship.

About EMC Mortgage Corporation

EMC Mortgage Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Bear Stearns Companies Inc., is a mortgage banking company that specializes in the acquisition, servicing and disposition of residential mortgage loans headquartered in Lewisville, Texas within the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex and with offices in Irvine, California. Further information about EMC Mortgage Corporation is available on http://www.emcmortgagecorp.com.

About Bear Stearns

Founded in 1923, The Bear Stearns Companies Inc. (NYSE: BSC) is a leading financial services firm serving governments, corporations, institutions and individuals worldwide. The Companys core business lines include institutional equities, fixed income, investment banking, global clearing services, asset management, and private client services. Headquartered in New York City, the company has approximately 15,000 employees worldwide. For additional information about Bear Stearns, please visit the firms web site at http://www.bearstearns.com.

Contacts

The Bear Stearns Companies
Renu Aldrich, 212-272-2097
raldrich@bear.com
or
Debbie Krznarich, 214-626-4270
dkrznarich@bear.com

Quote 0 0
  • We have compiled an initial list of borrowers likely affected and we will be contacting customers to determine their needs.

Oh, I get it....they just made up a list of NEW victims!

Quote 0 0
Something to ponder while thinking about the natural disaster happening as we speak. Once it runs it's course, many of the homes damaged/destroyed by the fire are in various stages of pre/post foreclosure, legally or illegally. Combine that with a rapidly declining market and I think the families affected by this are going to be trying to recover for at least as long as the hurricane victims have been.

It's going to take a lot more than EMC's "task force" to help manage this one...
Quote 0 0
Mike,

You are so right.  The big picture here is fueled with long term devastation.   There are homeowners who are not now even in various stages of pre/post foreclosure, legally or illegally who will be taking huge hits from lender 1st loss payees on homeowners' insurance.  How are these people ever going to be able to rebuild anything? 
Sorry to sound so jaded and cynical but I view this as a huge windfall of insurance money for lenders that homeowners are going to have to fight tooth and nail to get.  On top of this lenders will get and keep insurance proceeds from those they foreclose on and they'll still have the land to sell.

Quote 0 0

Arkey Girl, Blossom, Mike, Joe and everyone is right.

And IF it was to have the same affect that it did after the hurricane hit New Orleans, the housing prices went up, the FEDS just lowered rates and so on. Are we going to be back on the subprime roller coaster?

I feel sorry for them it will never be life as it was again. I wish them luck! It will not be easy for any of them I'm sure.

If I had to bet I would say that this Subprime mess has put more people homeless than the storms, fires and earthquakes all put together.
Quote 0 0
Did anyone ever think
That maybe some of the people who have been burned out don't have insurance??Not because they don't want it or need it but because they lost jobs and have other hardships just like us and can't afford insurance.

As far as I'm concerned they can have the trailer that my tax dollars bought.GIVE IT TO THEM OR GIVE THE TRAILERS TO THE FOLKS THAT WERE BEING FORECLOSED ON.

As for this government..the founding fathers have to be rolling in their graves.
Quote 0 0
arkygirl
Well, I have calmed down somewhat now. I am still furious about this waste of homes, though. Someone should get some use from them and they are brand new except for sitting for so long.

Maybe I should put this suggestion in the pot....the trailers could be given to victims of mortgage servicing fraud. After all, this servicing mess has been an ongoing disaster for a long, long time....

Sorry about screwing up the discussion by getting angry. Thanks for all the interesting commentary. Remember that prayer. 'Night, all.
Quote 0 0
On the whole, I don't necessarily disagree with you AG. Unfortunately, that particular batch that has been sitting for so long may just have to be written off. There is going to be no good solution for this one, I'm afraid.

At least it looks like things have been learned as far as implementing emergency stadium shelter...
Quote 0 0
I agree with Arky regarding the insurance and the servicers, the borrowers could have quite a nightmare if it's anything like what I have had to deal with.

I'm sure SRSD knows how it feels to try to get answers about anything from ameriquest.

As far as the quote below about being able to afford insurance, The insurance on my mobile home in 2004 was less then 600 hundred a year, now insurance is 2,000.00 thousand a year since Katrina.

The servicers and the Government want us all to look like we can't afford to make the mortgage payments. I could afford to make my payments and the insurance.  Even after being hit by ameriquest predatory lending bait & switch and being hit by hurricanes. I still made the payments plus paid for insurance while renting.

I feel for anyone that suffers work loss or illness, I don't think that loss of work or illness is part of the MSF scam, it does come as part of the crime down the road after fighting for years it get's to ya.

People that where scamed by the predators and then rescamed by the servicers are the one's that will be hurting the most, tricked or defrauded into loans with exploding ARMS payment that double and then insurance that has tripled.

I don't agree with the quote, just like us, But I do agree with the people in California needing some kind of shelter.

Did anyone ever think wrote:
That maybe some of the people who have been burned out don't have insurance??Not because they don't want it or need it but because they lost jobs and have other hardships just like us and can't afford insurance.

As far as I'm concerned they can have the trailer that my tax dollars bought.GIVE IT TO THEM OR GIVE THE TRAILERS TO THE FOLKS THAT WERE BEING FORECLOSED ON.

As for this government..the founding fathers have to be rolling in their graves.

Quote 0 0
I'm here the smoke and ash was blowing over the ocean because the wind pattern is reversed. And the roads have been shut down.

Many of the people will not have there homes rebuilt or will lose their equity
even with insurance many companies do not honor their agreements, big shock to us.

As usual the government doesn't lift a finger to enforce simple contractual agreements as in our case it becomes civil matter.

Just like us the law enforcement, state and Feds violated the Constitution and peoples property rights by ordering mandatory evacuations. Arnold ordered people to obey law enforcement without question. It's a shame the police and fireman risk their lives to save the people and their homes and then they terrorize the citizens by stripping them of their rights to defend their homes just like us. I guess the message is clear the government considers our homes their property to be taken away from us at their discretion.

Quote 0 0
I'm here the smoke and ash was blowing over the ocean because the wind pattern is reversed. And the roads have been shut down.

Many of the people will not have there homes rebuilt or will lose their equity
even with insurance many companies do not honor their agreements, big shock to us.

As usual the government doesn't lift a finger to enforce simple contractual agreements as in our case it becomes civil matter.

Just like us the law enforcement, state and Feds violated the Constitution and peoples property rights by ordering mandatory evacuations. Arnold ordered people to obey law enforcement without question. It's a shame the police and fireman risk their lives to save the people and their homes and then they terrorize the citizens by stripping them of their rights to defend their homes just like us. I guess the message is clear the government considers our homes their property to be taken away from us at their discretion.

Quote 0 0
arkygirl
The evacuations didn't even work out too well. Some folks in Ramona were told to evacuate only to find the roads closed in front of them and behind them! NO way out. All they could do was stay and, by God, they saved their home because of it! They said if they had evacuated as ordered they would have lost everything. They will probably be arrested later for being unable to follow the government commands.

And I suppose you were ordered not to use your cell phone. The government needed the airwaves, even though those are still owned by the people in theory. (Of course the FCC likes to auction off our airwaves...)

Yep, looks like the government is doing a bang-up job. People tend to forget that the government "takes it all back" when the stuff hits the fan and withholds it from real people for its own use. No roads, we need them. No phones, we need them. I suppose we will all watch to see how well the government performs once the media spotlight has dimmed a bit. And those darling insurance companies, too.

Greg, be safe. I hope the air clears soon. My thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone who has been affected so horribly.
Quote 0 0
I know the local emergency services were upset because they suddenly changed to a State plan that wasn't worked out and some sort of Federal multi-agency emergency plan. I'm not so much faulting the police and firefighters they are very brave and fought hard, I'm disturbed the Government thinks they need to shred the Constitution every time it's an inconvenience. The government has no respect for our property rights or our Constitutional rights.

Many people wind up in trouble in California  because the insurance companies will not honor their contracts, as has happened to many in natural disasters such as Markana in Florida with Ameriquest, and we know they work with the lenders to help steal homes. I can understand making a mistake in a life threatening emergency situation, but their is no excuse for letting insurance companies and lenders steal homes and making it a civil matter and forcing borrowers and insured out of pocket against multi billion dollar corporations. It's outrageous that they don't have to follow any laws due to political donations

Quote 0 0
Hey Greg,

Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you.  My prayers are with you and your family.  And of course with all the other families in Cal that are affected by this event.  Bless the firemen and police. 

Heck with the bad guys.

Bob
Quote 0 0
Thank you and God Bless you Big Bob and Arky Girl and everyone else for the support. The scams have already started people are going door to door and making phone calls claiming to be the insurance company. And the emergency centers are being looted illegal immigrants or Mexican nationals the article did not make it clear have been caught looting an emergency center, the border patrol says it will not focus on protecting the emergency centers from looting because it will be viewed as taking advantage of an emergency situation.
Quote 0 0
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/breakingnews/2007/10/six-undocumente.html

Quote 0 0
anon2
I am curious too about the fallout on the housing market. No pun meant. For those of us who live in parts of the world prone to disasters this will be the outcome. The homeowners who have total losses will discover that they are radically uninsured. The insurance companies will refuse to pay out. Those homeowners who do not have fire insurance won't get a dime. The mortgage companies like Countrywide will insist on having the mortgages paid in full not leaving a cent for rebuilding. FEMA/SBA will then have to cover the amount to rebuild because the insurance companies/mortgage companies won't. This is probably a blessing in disguise for Countrywide.

It will be interesting. The homeowners affected are higher on the socioeconomic scale so they may have more political clout. Countrywide has offices in Simi Valley so is it too much to hope?
Quote 0 0
arkygirl
Greg, know anyone who could use a new trailer, lol?

I really feel for all those who think that they are going home today and finding that they have no home to go to. It is like a gut punch, a really hard one, to see it for the first time. No harder than losing a home to the servicing fraudsters but at least the crooks will put your some of your stuff out on the curb.

Fire spares nothing at all...
Quote 0 0
arkygirl
anon2, EVERYONE will find out that they are under-insured. You cannot buy enough insurance to recover without trouble. The insurance companies do not let you because they are afraid you will commit arson to get the insurance. They keep it lean and mean.

In my case we had no problem with the insurance company; they were peachy and paid off rapidly. But we had to pay off the old mortgage first and we got what was left. It was not enough to replace all our clothing, every dish, pot, pan and piece of silverware, appliances...all the things we live with and take for granted daily. Things you accrue gradually are just gone, just that quickly.

We had enough to get a down payment on a home with a brand new mortgage, buy some stuff and put down payments on other stuff. All in all, it took about ten years to get back where we started. It was very disheartening. It is life altering to realize how quickly it can all be gone. A person learns not to get too attached to material goods.

You can only insure a structure to value, so if they have mortgages it will be a huge shot in the arm for Countrywide and other mortgage holders. The mortgages will be paid off first so they will get a huge influx of cash allowing them to hang around and torture us longer. The people will find themselves left with not too much to work with, I am afraid. And a good ten year span before they feel "normal" again.

If the insurances companies buck, it will exacerbate the misery a thousandfold. More ruined credit. Many people will be emotionally at the brink; some will snap. There may be some comfort in that this was a much watched widespread disaster. There will probably be charities who will help, something not available to those who have a "private" disaster.

Maybe those wealthy folks in Malibu and Simi Valley will get special attention just to prevent them from becoming political about the issue.
Quote 0 0
Sprint has decided to fabricate over $300 in charges and shut off my phone during the state of emergency and has complied a list of porno charges to defame me, suppose this has anything to do with the sub-prime investigations?

What many of these criminals do not realized is that if they are involved in crime which debases the currency they are subject to treason charges and potentially the death penalty. That would certainly include Roland Arnall who's sheer volume of bad loans has certainly debased the value of U.S. currency.

The reason why this is considered such a serious crime is the forefathers envisioned powerful European or corporate interests manipulating the monetary and lending system in order to conquer the U.S. though checkbook dictatorship. Money and banking was really the primary reason for the revolutionary war and it was considered key to freedom and private property ownership to have a stable transparent monetary and lending system.

Quote 0 0
arkygirl
OK, I realize that no one wants to see this drug up from the archives, but it is those pesky trailers again. Found this in a newspaper and just though I'd share the "official" story update.

Ross Bill Finds Use For Idle FEMA Trailers
Tuesday, October 30, 2007 10:28 AM CDT
By Jason C. Green

Stephens Washington Bureau • JGREEN@STEPHENS MEDIA.COM

WASHINGTON — A bill introduced in Congress aims to clear a way for the government to make use of more than 6,000 mobile homes sitting vacant in Hope.

The bill, sponsored by Reps. Mike Ross, D-Prescott, and John Mica, R-Fla., would allow Federal Emergency Management Agency to transfer or sell the trailers and other rescue equipment to states, local government or aid groups following a disaster, even if damages are not large enough to merit an official federal disaster declaration.

“Each year there are a number of emergencies that do not meet the specific requirements of a federal disaster declaration simply because of bureaucratic hurdles that prevent FEMA from lending a helping hand,” Ross said in a news release. The bill was introduced on Friday.

In February, Ross and Sens. Mark Pryor and Blanche Lincoln, both D-Ark., called on President Bush to declare the town of Dumas an emergency area after it was struck by a tornado, damaging more than 150 homes and 25 businesses. Ross was critical of the federal response, pointing to thousands of mobile homes parked less than 200 miles away while families waited. It took 13 days before 30 homes were delivered.

“I represent both Hope and Dumas, so when a tornado hit Dumas I thought it would be real simple to get the 30 homes people needed from Hope,” Ross said on Monday. “Instead it was like pulling teeth.”

“If FEMA was doing their job, we wouldn’t need this legislation,” he said.

The mobile homes were bought by FEMA for use by Hurricane Katrina victims, but large numbers of the homes have never been used, and some of the homes that were distributed contained high levels of formaldehyde.

The chemical is used in plywood and composite panels and furniture. In large quantities, it can cause cancer.

Ross and Pryor placed similar language in a Homeland Security Appropriations conference report last month.

The new bill directly amends the law that governs FEMA.

http://www.swtimes.com/articles/2007/10/30/news/news05.txt

Quote 0 0
anon2
Arkygirl: precisely

This is just a little FEMA aside but cool how they staged their own fake news conference.
Quote 0 0
arkygirl
I am not surprised at FEMA's fake "news conference". So, they fired one guy. Big deal; that room was full of people most of whom were certainly aware that it was a fake. Yet they participated in the sham. Why didn't they just read their prepared press release without trying to make it look like something it wasn't? Will they all be fired? Doubtful, the token head has already rolled.

This administration has been caught in many lies, some of them very serious, and when someone gets caught they are given immunity or commuted sentences. It seems like anything goes and the laws were enacted to be stomped on by cowboys when they see fit. It seems like they search for ways to mislead citizens when the truth might be better.

Maybe this is why we have so much trouble getting anyone "in power" to listen to these mortgage servicing fraud stories. Perhaps the corruption has become so deep and so ingrained that those in power can no longer recognize it when it stares then full in the eyes. When they see it they just think they are looking in the mirror.
Quote 0 0
Write a reply...