Mortgage Servicing Fraud
occurs post loan origination when mortgage servicers use false statements and book-keeping entries, fabricated assignments, forged signatures and utter counterfeit intangible Notes to take a homeowner's property and equity.
Articles |The FORUM |Law Library |Videos | Fraudsters & Co. |File Complaints |How they STEAL |Search MSFraud |Contact Us
Hello To EVERYONE HERE.

I am writing due to an area of Taxes, that I'd like to discuss concerning the homes, that have been Foreclosed upon, the effects in which these homes cause the "local" communities to suffer; and the Like.

My intentions with this tread are to start at ground Zero, in explanations of taxes, and all the problems that arise for the COUNTY TAX ASSESSORS OFFICES, when their is fraud committed within a borrowers Mortgage Loan: either by the Predatory Loan, or the Mortgage "Servicing" of the loan.

I'd like ALL to participate who have anything to add, comment, or share regarding "PROPERTY TAXES" (relating to fraud).

Again, from ground ZERO up to the point of"WHAT EACH COUNTY TAX OFFICE" could do to hold the SERVICERS ACCOUNTABLE for the Frauds the Mortgage Servicers have committed against the entire Community once they have sunken their teeth into "a borrowers home" and have FORECLOSED.

Share you're thoughts and Ideas as well, but do lets try to keep this as "factual" as possible, and lets see what info and what strategies we can use, to help OUR COUNTIES hold the SERVICERS ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR FRAUDULENT ACTIONS, AND CONTINUAL NEGLIGENCE.

It's time to play hard ball; and I've brought my bat!
Can't wait to hear the great info on this subject.

Quote 0 0
noodles
I'd like to first start at Ground Zero.

How does a Property Tax, that is to be paid by the Home Owner become late?

Well in some cases it may be due to a Home owner simply being strapped to the max, with the inability to pay the taxes; or perhaps they have lost an income in the household, or have suffered a medical traumatization. Nonetheless, this is only in some cases.

The "OTHER" more important REASON, a home owner is unable to pay their Property Taxes, on time if at all, is largely in part due to the FRAUDS committed by the MORTGAGE SERVICING COMPANIES AGAINST BORROWERS.

It is understood, that each home owner has the obligation to pay their Country Property Taxes, (if the taxes are not a part of an "ESCROW ACCOUNT".)

So if we have a home owner who has the responsibility of paying the PROPERTY TAXES out of their own checkbook, and fraud from the Mortgage Servicers is involved in their lives, WE then have homeowners who are unable to pay their Property Taxes on time, and in full.

I'd like to note here that when a borrower has been forced to pay 2 months worth of Mortgage Payments every month, for Several Months at a time. This then makes all of the "other" monthly obligations suffer, and thusly affecting the ability for the Home Owner to pay their Property Taxes on time.

This to me, is ground Zero, and this causes a loss of Revenue for the Property Tax Division, for the Fiscal years tax assessments.

It takes money to run a County, and the services a County provides to its citizens, and this is ONLY a very minute part of the fraud committed against the borrower which Ultimately Affects & Effects the citizens COMMUNITY & County Services, & Resources. (schools, roads, property tax increases, etc, etc.)

It's time to play hard ball; and I've brought my bat!
So who is up at bat next?

Quote 0 0
noodles
In my research across the inter net, I've also herd other horror stories that pertain to an ESCROWED PROPERTY TAX ACCOUNT.

These stories are generally from borrowers whose loans have an "Escrow Account"  for Insurances, and PROPERTY TAXES.

Too many times have I read & heard about victims, whose Mortgage Servicing Company has been taking these payments from the borrowers ALL year long, But has failed to PAY THE PROPERTY TAXES (in which have been collected). The borrowers then get notices in the mail from their Tax Officials stating that their Taxes have not been paid, and if they are not paid within 30 days a lien will be placed against their Property. (Which we all know then has the possibility of effecting the borrowers credit.)

As citizens What can we suggest to our COUNTY TAX ASSESSORS OFFICE to help the VICTIMS in these SITUATIONS?

Can We suggest, that a Letter be written from the County Tax Assessors Office, (signed by the Assessor) to the Mortgage SERVICERS?

I propose the letter look or read something like the following.

Dear Blank Blank Mortgage Servicing Company,

It has come to our attention that the fiscal years property taxes on Property AB-CD Lot # 545 listed on 824 Blight Street, registered to the owners of JOHN and JANE DOE, are in fact PAST DUE and payable to our Office with in 2 weeks.

The 2007 Fiscal Year Property Taxes in the amount of
$X,XXX. xx and the late fee for these taxes, is due in the amount of $XXX. xx for a total of $X, XXX. xx.  immediately or we will be forced to seek Legal Actions against you.

The Home Owner is not responsible for these Taxes as we understand that this is a Mortgage Loan Agreement, with the PROPERTY TAXES, included in their Monthly mortgage payments, Disbursed among an "ESCROW ACCOUNT". Which we understand it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to PAY PER THE LOAN DOCUMENTS.

Again, Please submitt your payment to our office within two weeks or Legal Actions concerning these taxes will be afforded to your Company.

Sincerely,
Tax Assessors Office,

CC: the home owners---No taxes due from you. 

Please share with the board what you like or don't like about this letter.
Let's get some ideas rolling on this sort of letter and see what we can come up with from here.
If you disagree with suggestion of such a letter or the letter itself please share why and what improvements could be made with the letter.

Now part two of this post:
For those of you who are Regulation, Law, & Rule, savvy;
What "process or processes" would need to be followed to:

Make this letter a Reality?
And
To get the TAX LIEN filed AGAINST THE MORTGAGE SERVICER, instead of the home owner?

Quote 0 0
noodles
(A couple of corrections and additions)

Too many times have I read & heard about victims, whose Mortgage Servicing Company has been taking these payments from the borrowers ALL year long, But THE SERVICERS have failed to PAY THE PROPERTY TAXES (in which have been collected).

The borrowers then get notices in the mail from their Tax Officials stating that their Taxes have not been paid, and if they are not paid within 30 days a lien will be placed against their Property. (Which we all know then has the possibility of effecting the borrowers credit.)

To this I'd also like to add, this then makes the responsible home owner feel the duty & responsibility to pay these taxes. In an effort to save further cause of damage to their credit reports by the Mortgage Servicing Companies.

Then, if the borrower has the money, to pay the Property Tax, at their Local office, they then Pay that Office.
But what about the money the borrower has already paid to the Mortgage Servicer for an ENTIRE year. The borrower is then
out of this money, as the SERVICER WILL REFUSE TO PAY THE TAXES, ONCE THEY HAVE LEARNED the borrowers took the initiative to rectify the Property Tax Defaults.

This then equals further financial stresses and burdens upon the home owners.

It's time we help all victims of these Fraudulent activities, who haven't stood up, and fought for themselves. If we can make each of "OUR" Counties see, all the problems that are brought to our Communities, through these FRAUDS, WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE, and help in RE-CREATING the AMERICA we yearn for.

Lets build this thread so we can submit the information contained herein to All of our Local County Property Tax Divisions. Once this thread is built, with enough Appropriate information. I FEEL THEY WILL RUN WITH IT!
A TAX ASSESSOR is an appointed Official by methods of Citizens VOTING, they have nothing to lose, and EVERYTHING to GAIN by what they can learn about the Frauds on this thread, and help save our communities.

LET'S GET ACTIVE!
Hey--Batter-Batter! ---Anyone wanna' Play Ball?
Quote 0 0
   If a servicer is asleep at the switch, and does not pay the property
taxes, the county can sell the house for the back taxes after a certain
period of time (two years in Florida). Since taxes are a first lein on the
property, the sale would wipe out any mortgages on the property and
the buyer would receive the property free and clear (after an action to
clear title). After the savings and loan collapse in the early 90's, many
properties were purchased for pennies on the dollar at tax sales. So
if this happens again many people might be able to repurchase their
homes or a similar home at a discounted price. Of course, you've got
to have some cash to do it but not as much as at a foreclosure sale!
Quote 0 0
noodles
Posting the below thread on this one, so it doesn't become a back page, old discussion.
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/ssgoldstar/vpost?id=2414247&trail=#4

Quote 0 0
Ed Cage
noodles wrote:
"Again, from ground ZERO up to the point of"WHAT EACH COUNTY
TAX OFFICE" could do to hold the SERVICERS ACCOUNTABLE
for the Frauds the Mortgage Servicers have committed against the
entire Community once they have sunken their teeth into "a
borrowers home" and have FORECLOSED."

Dear noodles:
I'm afraid I have bad news for you if you are hoping that county tax offices
might somehow initiate separate new efforts to "hold the servicers
accountable for the frauds the mortgage servicers have committed."

County government is going to focus on their immediate task at hand i.e.
making sure the correct amount is billed and collected. I assure you your
county tax collector assessor has their plate full without plunging headlong
into sorting out who did what or owes what between you and your lender
or servicer. 

If you paid your servicer and they didn't pay the county that's between you
and your servicer. If your servicer overbilled you or unjustly charged you
unwarranted late charges or interest the answer is the same.

All you will get from the county is full and complete access to your records - 
Who actually paid or didn't pay is no concern of theirs.. And rightfully so I
might add.  

Respectfully and I hope helpfully,
Ed Cage Plano Texas  /  972-596-4363
ecagetx@tx.rr.com
Quote 0 0
Joe B
Noodles-

I appreciate your sentiment and outrage about counties getting less than they believe they are due. It is absolutely unfortunate, and there are likely a few counties out there that may be suffering disproportionately to the rest. Overall, I still do not believe that this represents a huge problem nationwide; again a few counties (perhaps even dozens) may be suffering greatly. However, I don't believe the rest of the country would share their outrage!

However, I think in your approach and desire to have the servicers punished, held accountable, etc. is a bit like pushing a rope. I don't know if you have ever tried to work with your local governmental agencies, but I think the idea of a mass mobilization of these organizations would be highly unlikely; no matter the expected benefit to them.

Understand that I am not suggesting that this is a bad idea, I just think it is untenable. However, I do think that a clever arrangement could be reached where you can surf for foreclosure sales by your favorite servicer, identify which properties taxes have not been paid, pay them, and file a lien on the property.

Not only would this fix your primary concern: property taxes being paid to the county; it would also allow a bit of retribution on the servicers who are now going to owe you some money and interest before they can dispose of this property. You could be in a very interesting position when you are holding up their money making machine again and again.

Seriously, I think this strategy could be quite interesting, and really get the servicers' attention. Remember, as countless have stated here: it's about greed. If you stand in the way of their greed, (and in this case quite legally!!) you have power!!

At least, that's what I think.

JB
Quote 0 0
noodles
Ed Cage wrote:
Dear noodles:
I'm afraid I have bad news for you if you are hoping that county tax offices
might somehow initiate separate new efforts to "hold the servicers
accountable for the frauds the mortgage servicers have committed." 

I'm afraid you have missed the point here. I'm not wanting the County to do ANYTHING for me Concerning "MY TAXES". I've been "SERVICED" (putting it politely) to no end; in which there is obviously no -end in sight either.

But my immediate SERVICING issues are not the point of this thread, AT ALL . The entire point of this thread is to get members of this board "INVOLVED" with contacting your Local County Tax Assessors Office, and discussing the problems we have with the Mortgage Servicers. Let the Assessor know what "MORTGAGE SERVICING" is ALL ABOUT!
Let the Tax ASSESSOR KNOW WHY THEY ARE NOT GETTING ANY MONEY on the FORECLOSED PROPERTIES.

With every action there is a RE-ACTION! What would it hurt for anyone of us to take the time to sit down and discuss the SERVICING problems with the Tax Assesor in our County? It would hurt nothing! Actually the "effects" of doing such a an appointment, would take about a two hour meeting, and could provide your communtiy with a far greter outcome than what is thought to be possible by some here.

I am looking for the long term effect, of my sharing of the knowledge of the SERVICING ASPECT, and how it has affected, and Effected THIS COMMUNTIY, and of  course our family. How the Servicing frauds, effect, the lives of the others in the community as well.

Ed Cage wrote:

or servicer. 
Again, this thread is not "ABOUT" *ME*, and my Servicing issues.
If we can get the TAX ASSESSOR to realize their losses, the blight, the udervalued appraisals, & all othe other effects in a neighboorhood that pertain to FORECLOSED properties, the Taxes, and Maintenance of in the County, then We've got their attention; thusly leading  them ( the tax assessor) to pursue the problems at hand, by means of the District Attorney (in the county), then we've begun to get the ball rolling for victims such as ourselves, and the many others that some of us here continually fight for.

Once "other" areas of county Government have begun to get involved it will be hard for a Judge to sit there on his pedastool, and declare a judgment in favor of the MORTGAGE SERVICER! It would be hard for the Judge to over look the Borrowers, documents, whether it was a Judical Foreclosure,  or Non Judicial state (where the borrower has brought suit AGAINST the SERVICER).

Ed Cage wrote:

If you paid your servicer and they didn't pay the county that's between you
and your servicer. If your servicer overbilled you or unjustly charged you
unwarranted late charges or interest the answer is the same.
All you will get from the county is full and complete access to your records - 
Who actually paid or didn't pay is no concern of theirs.. And rightfully so I
might add.
  You are correct, but if we can show the Taz Assessor the "PROBLEMS" that arise for the borrowers due to the frauds involving the PROPERTY TAXES, then we've accomplished something.

Right now as it stands the TAX ASSESSORS know "SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT!" BUT THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS, THEY CANNOT TACKLE SOMETHING, IF THEY DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO START.

HAVE YOU READ THE ARTICLE THIS ARTICLE?:
Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch and Wells Fargo of creating a public Nuisance.

or THIS ONE?: Dirty Deeds: Cities fight banks over vacant homes

If you have, then surely you must understand what I am saying here.

Those articles, and law suits against the Servicers, are not because the County "DOESN'T CARE"! But they are because the County DOES CARE.

Those articles pertain, to the SERVICING, and the problems the SERVICING has caused  in those communities.
I am not asking for the tax assessors office to fix your problems, Tommy's, Larrys, or mine.
I'm asking that we all get together on this forum, and devise a little package, that each of us will print, and hand to our tax assessor, to GET something GOING in each of our Communities to MAKE these Servicers STOP their crap.

Granted there will be a few steps in between before the Homeowver gets the Recognition about the Servicing issues. But if we NEVER complain to the very ones who have A TOTAL COMPLETE REASON, to hold SERVICERS accountable for frauds, then WE WILL NEVER EVER, NEVER EVER GET ANY SORT OF SATISFACTION EVER!....
NOT FOR US, NOT FOR OUR CHILDREN.
NOT FOR THE LITTLE OLD LADY NEXT DOOR, NOT FOR YOUR MOTHER. NOT FOR ANYONE. PERIOD.

Quote 0 0
Ed Cage

noodles wrote:

For those borrowers, we CAN help them, if we are able to get positive action FROM the TAX ASSESSORS Office. What we need to do is propose ACTION to our TAX ASSESSORS that our local Government, make ALL Liens in this capacity, a LIEN JUDGMENT AGAINST the MORTGAGE SERVICER, (FOR FAILURE TO PAY) instead of assessing a lien against the borrowers.

What can we do to make "this" a "REALITY?”

Dear noodles:

We can’t do anything to make your above well intended scenario a “reality.”  

Don’t get me wrong; I share your frustration and I know what has been going on is not only outrageous but in many cases these are criminal acts by servicers.  But with all due respect you don’t seem to understand the limitations and basic functions of county government.

The County Tax Assessor Collector collects your property taxes and disperses them to the city and schools etc. Let’s say the Appraisal District* sets your home value at $200,000 and your annual taxes at $3,500.  Now for whatever reason your home gets foreclosed and sits around for two years without any taxes being paid..

* Keep in mind some facts about the Appraiser’s Office. They are a separate (but connected entity) to the Tax Collectors office. They don’t care if your home was purchased for $100,000 or grossly overvalued with an obscene $400,000 predatory mortgage contract.  Your home still generates only $3,500 a year based on their $200,000 evaluation regardless of whether you overpaid or underpaid.   

Now after two years that normal rate of $3500 x 2 = $7000 suddenly legally becomes a whopping $13,000 with breathtakingly severe interest and penalties and also some legal fees as well. Next the county seizes the property for taxes regardless of who owns the note or what is owed** on the property. It can be sold at an auction by the county to recover the taxes due and for that reason it is very much in the best interest of the lender to keep taxes current or they’ll get stuck with a $13,000 tax bill when it could have been half that much. Consequently the note holder/lender normally (not always) stays current.

** If you still owe $350,000 to the lender that’s of no concern to the county. In a foreclosure structured in this predatory manner the lender gets burned.. NOT THE COUNTY.

Either way the usually county comes out waaaaaay ahead

when they are

forced to wait for their inevitable taxes to be paid. 

1)     These back-tax mega windfalls occur every year at county, state and Federal (IRS) levels.

2)     The county is simply not going become involved in individual mortgage disputes over who owes who.  They already have a solid lien position.

Respectfully,

Ed Cage

1804 Cross Bend, Plano Texas 75023

972-596-4363 (Listed)

ecagetx@tx.rr.com

Quote 0 0
It seems to me that if a servicer didn't pay the taxes, it would be screwing
itself since the property would eventually be sold for taxes or slightly more
and the underlying mortgage leins would be wiped out.

This might actually be a way for the owner to get back his property
cheaply, although, if he still owed the note, in most states the lenders
could sue on the Note if they could find it, and get the property back at
a sheriff sale. I actually witnessed this happen back in the early 90's
during the savings and loan collapse. The tax sale wipes out the mort-
gage lein but not the Note. However if a close friend or relative was
to bid at the tax auction and win, there is little the Note holder could do.

With so many bankrupt mortgage and service companies, this is bound to
happen again. I believe Donald Trump bought his first appartment bldg
at a tax sale in NYC for $10,000 in a dilapidated neighborhood then he
fixed it up and sold it for a million.
Quote 0 0

noodles wrote:

"I'm asking that we all get together on this forum, and devise a

little package, that each of us will print, and hand to our tax

assessor, to GET something GOING in each of our Communities

to MAKE these Servicers STOP their crap."

Dear noodles:

Unfortunately your statement that, "It's time to play hard ball; and I've

brought my bat!" will do nothing to further change the admittedly unjust and

even criminal injustices by fraudulent mortgage servicers that have existed.

Noodles your county tax collectors and assessors cannot help you on this

frustrating journey toward justice. 

It bears repeating noodles:

The county almost always comes out waaaaaay ahead

when they are forced to wait for their inevitable

severe penalties and extremely high interest rates taxes to be paid. 

or servicer. (Their lien position is solid regardless.)

Whether you paid $100,000 or $400,000 for your home is not the

immediate concern of the county. If the county appraisers evaluated your

home at $200,000 that's the figure they work with

So please don't use your hard ball tactics and your bat on the county tax

collectors and assessors.  They're really not worthwhile targets.  

The good news is that by efforts by good people like yourself that spoke out

rather than remaining complacent a great deal of these mortgage servicing

criminals are being investigated and many at the executive levels will be

brought to justice in 2008. Additionally the fraudulent mortgage servicing

companies are also dropping like flies.

Thanks for your part in helping to change things.

Ed Cage

1804 Cross Bend, Plano Texas 75023

972-596-4363 (Listed)

ecagetx@tx.rr.com

Quote 0 0

I have been trying to locate a ASC in the Texas area and ran across this website.  I have been sold to them from New Century over a year ago.  I am on medical disability and Unfortunately got behind in my Property Taxes.  In the past, the mortgage company that I was with have notified me of being behind, but God always worked it out for me to get them paid out.  Too, I have been up to two years behind in the past.  This time, I am just behind for the 2007 taxes and ASC has added them to my mortgage; which raised my monthly note over $300 dollars.  Being on a fixed income, I can not afford this type of money.  Having a hard time dealing with other issues; such as the death of my mother in November, this has been very stressful for me.  I am reading through other situations on this site and would like to see if anyone has any information that I could use for my personal need to get help with this.  I have struggled to keep this household going since 1989 and care not to lose it at this time in my life.  I will continue to read through this website; but in the meantime, please help me.  Thank you.     

Quote 0 0
If you are over 62, why not look into a reverse mortgage so you won't
have a monthly mortgage payment anymore. Then you can devote your
limited funds to keeping your taxes and insurance current.
Quote 0 0
noodles
Lavell wrote:

I have been trying to locate a ASC in the Texas area and ran across this website.  I have been sold to them from New Century over a year ago.  I am on medical disability and Unfortunately got behind in my Property Taxes.  In the past, the mortgage company that I was with have notified me of being behind, but God always worked it out for me to get them paid out.  Too, I have been up to two years behind in the past.  This time, I am just behind for the 2007 taxes and ASC has added them to my mortgage; which raised my monthly note over $300 dollars.  Being on a fixed income, I can not afford this type of money.  Having a hard time dealing with other issues; such as the death of my mother in November, this has been very stressful for me.  I am reading through other situations on this site and would like to see if anyone has any information that I could use for my personal need to get help with this.  I have struggled to keep this household going since 1989 and care not to lose it at this time in my life.  I will continue to read through this website; but in the meantime, please help me.  Thank you.     

Lavelle,

the poster Mike H. is right. You might really want to look into a Reverse Mortgage loan.

I offer some hope and suggestions in this for you with much sincerity and hope you will at least give these options a try.

OPTION NUMBER 01:  I think the option you should try first is:
1. Calling your local Congressman's office.
(there should be a congressman's office close to you, and your voting district. If you don't know their name as around, your friends, neighbors, can lead you in the right direction.)

2. Once you have located a telephone number for them. You need to call the Congressman's office, and discuss with them the troubles you are having with your mortgage "SERVICING" company.

3. You need to offer to provide them with the appropriate paperwork, to show what the Mortgage "SERVICING" Company is doing to you.

Ask them for help, and explain to them that you are considering a REVERSE MORTGAGE at the moment.
And ASK THE CONGRESSMAN, WHAT BANK, he can suggest for you.

Explain to him, that you want a bank, WHO WILL GUARANTEE TO YOU THAT THEY WILL NOT SELL YOUR LOAN, to another Company.

If you explain your fears, of winding up with another Mortgage Servicing Company, I'm sure they will understand.

It is highly likely, that the Congressman,(or his office) will do some research for you to find out what local bank will offer you the best Service, for getting a reverse Mortgage loan.

If they can provide you with a bank, after doing research on it for you, You will be with a reputable bank, and they are FAR LESS LIKELY TO "STIFF" you in any manner, if they know you have been "REFERRED" to their bank by the "CONGRESSMAN".

OPTION NUMBER 02: 
a.) Of course you could go this alone and start calling local banks in your area, & asking about reverse mortgages.

B.) the problem there however is, YOU WILL NOT BE GUARANTEED, that your loan will NOT END UP WITH A "SERVICING" company again.

C.) And you Cannot be assured of their reputability of "Reverse Mortgage Loans".

D.) and you Cannot be assured, that the "best" possible loan was written out for you.

So it is essentially important to get the backing of the Congressman's office involved with this, in order to get the best possible loan for you and your home.

OPTION NUMBER 03: 
A.) go down to your Tax Assessors Office, and speak with the Tax Assessor.
(don't show anger towards the Tax Assessor. they are not the problem here, IT IS THE MORTGAGE SERVICING CO.)

B.) Explain the situation to the Tax Assessor, and ask them if there is anything they can do.

Propose the idea, of them Sending the FULL AMOUNT of payment BACK to the MORTGAGE SERVICING COMPANY, with a letter Stating that the TAX ASSESSORS office will BE receiving payments FROM you LAVELLE, and NOT THE MORTGAGE SERVICING COMPANY.

Explain to the Tax ASSESSOR, you will pay, for them to send the payment back to the Mortgage Servicing Company ~via~ Certified Mail, Registered Mail, Signature Required.
Also, Explain tot he Tax Assessor, that it should be sent
this way, because you fear that ASC will not "PROPERLY" credit your loan account when they receives the reimbursement check.

It is likely that the TAX ASSESSOR will want to help you in any way they can since you are a VOTER, and they are in an "elected office".

Same principal with the Congressman. the too are in an "elected office" and you are a voter.

Hope these ideas help some.

Quote 0 0
noodles

AMEN to this, and WAY TO GO PAPPAS!

'Terror tactics' over tax bills: Pappas

February 8, 2008

Cook County Treasurer Maria Pappas wants loan officials for Countrywide Financial to "go back to California and smoke whatever it is they smoke out there."

The giant mortgage lender has sent 80,000 letters to its client homeowners in Cook County, threatening to charge each of them a $5 fee if they fail to immediately mail a copy of their property tax bill to Countrywide's office in California.

"You don't need to send anybody a duplicate bill," Pappas said when asked for her advice to homeowners.

"Under Illinois law, these guys can collect thousands of dollars in an escrow account (for property tax payments), collect interest on it without giving the homeowner a penny, and they don't want to pay a lousy $5 for an electronic copy of a property tax bill," Pappas said.

"They're using terror tactics on little old ladies. They should be ashamed of themselves."

Mortgage lenders last fall declared war on Cook County when Pappas announced that her office would charge them $5 for an electronic copy of the property tax bill that it had previously provided free of charge.

Homeowners then began receiving letters from a variety of mortgage companies that stated if the taxpayer didn't immediately mail his property tax bill to the lending institution, the homeowner not only would be liable for a $5 fee but also penalties due to late payment of the tax bill.

Pappas denounced the tactic, called the mortgage lenders into her office for a meeting, and they agreed to rescind the letters and cease pestering homeowners.

But when Pappas mailed out the latest round of property tax bills in the last week, Countrywide and some smaller loan companies again sent the threatening letters, and Pappas' office was bombarded with phone calls from angry taxpayers.

"These firms know they are not entitled to the original property tax bill before making payments out of the escrow accounts, and they know that federal law requires them to pay the taxes on time," Pappas said.

Pappas said if late fees are assessed because of late payment, the lenders holding the escrow accounts are responsible.

In a statement released to the news media, she went on to say, "These are terror tactics to stampede customers," and she called on Bank of America, which has announced its intention to purchase Countrywide, to back out of the deal.

Beside Countrywide, firms sending out the threatening letters include Aurora Loan Services LLC, Bank Financial, EverHome, First Horizon, Flagstar, Liberty Lending, Nationstar, OCWEN Loan Servicing, Residential Credit Solutions, Regions Mortgage, Saxon Mortgage, TCF Bank and West Star, according to the treasurer's office.

Countrywide is one of several large financial institutions that have taken a bath in the subprime loan market.

Officials from Countrywide failed to return a telephone call seeking comment about Pappas' statement on Thursday.

Pappas said mortgage lenders make about 600,000 payments per Cook County property tax installment without the original bill.

"If these people don't want to do business in Cook County, they should get out and move back to California," Pappas said. "We don't want people here who threaten homeowners when they know it is the lending institution's responsibility to pay the tax bill."

I asked Pappas why she thought Countrywide has gone back on its promise from last fall not to send such threats to homeowners.

"They just don't care," she said. "They're going to do what they're going to do, even if they know it is wrong and violates the federal law."

When I asked the lenders about this situation last fall, some of them said that a $5 fee may not seem like much, but that if every state in the nation started charging such fees, the expenses would run into the millions of dollars.

Pappas is one of the first treasurers in the country to charge lenders for this government service, and they apparently want to stop the precedent before it becomes common practice.

Pappas doesn't see why the government should provide such a service to a private company at taxpayer expense.

And, as she points out, the lenders are making more than $5 a year per account by earning interest on the escrow money.

"It just makes me sick when I see these guys doing this kind of thing," Pappas said. "It's just wrong."

Phil Kadner can be reached at pkadner@southtownstar.com or (708) 633-6787. 

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/kadner/783654,020808Kadner.article

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/ssgoldstar/vpost?id=2483576&trail=#3

Quote 0 0
Paul
When we filed our initial complaint against EMC Mortgage, the clerk noticed EMC's name, turned to a sheriff standing next to her and said: "Do you know how many tax suits we have against these people?  Sounds like the county is on our side already, so we will be pressing that fact also.

But as we gather from what we have read on here, the criminals are immune from prosecution.  Sickening, but they are about to get what they deserve.
Quote 0 0

Question so if you don't pay your proberty tax and school tax can you make arrangement with them to pay monthly.

Quote 0 0
noodles
Most County Property Taxes, would allow you to set up some sort of payment agreement, to allow you to get caught up date.

If you are behind on your taxes. Ignoring the issue, can further harm your credit, & your home could be sold due to back taxes.

The County would notify your Lender, of intentions to sell home at a tax sale, and lender could either choose to pay the taxes, or ignore them.

If the lender payed the taxes, well then you'd have more troubles with the Servicer (No Doubt!).

If lender did not pay them, then home would mostly likely be sold at next scheduled tax sale.

IGNORING YOU PROPERTY & OTHER RELATED TAXES IS NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO DO.

You need to call them and work things out as soon as possible, and keep to your promise to pay. They do not like broken promises.

I actually suggest... You show up in person, and request an audience with the County Tax Commissioner, & explain to them the troubles you are having with payment of taxes due to the fraud your SERVICER has caused in your life. Thusly affecting your ability to pay taxes in a timely manner.

Make sure to mention the name of your servicer.
Also leave with the Tax commissioner a sheet of paper with this website address on it.
Hopefully they will come to read this forum.

Quote 0 0
noodles
Paul,
Thanks for sharing the info. That's great to hear!
Not much detail was given for us to know what aspect of taxes you will be pursuing against the Servicer, but in any case it sounds good to me! Fight on!

Quote 0 0
Here, Dayton, Ohio (Montgomery Co.) the Mortgage Co.s are actively involved in NOT transferring the properties they pick up at the auctions, into their own names. This gives them 2 benefits. 1. They aren't required to keep the properties up to community standards and 2. They don't have to keep up the Taxes. The City of Dayton has been trying to actually "Shame" these Banks/Mortgage Co.s by posting these properties with the names of the Banks/Mortgage Co.s listed on the Paperwork. So far, it's been a pretty useless attempt to achieve anything except waste time and paper. So much for Corporate consciousness.
Quote 0 0
Write a reply...