Mortgage Servicing Fraud
occurs post loan origination when mortgage servicers use false statements and book-keeping entries, fabricated assignments, forged signatures and utter counterfeit intangible Notes to take a homeowner's property and equity.
Articles |The FORUM |Law Library |Videos | Fraudsters & Co. |File Complaints |How they STEAL |Search MSFraud |Contact Us
FnDoomed

I'm nearing the point where I have to demand some damages.  Rather than name a number out of a hat I'd like a basis to work from..

Has anybody looked at what kinds of awards have been given when violations of various statutes have been proven?  e.g. FDCPA, RESPA, etc...  Of course statutes provide for actual damages and in some cases fees and costs.  Emotional damages are actual damages for this exercise.

Its a whole new area of research for me and if I can get a jumpstart I'd appreciate it.

Quote 0 0
TheEquitableOne
Have you considered something along the lines of an amount equal to one days profits of the entity you are suing for damages?
Quote 0 0
$&?!
There seems to be a bit of a disconnect here.  Damages are awarded to compensate for actual injury.  So you simply take the direct and proximate injury arising from the complained of breach of contract or the tort/breach of duty.

The bank's profits have nothing to do with the injury sustained by the aggrieved party.

It is true that matters like profits might be taken into consideration in support of punitive damages which are designed to deter particularly egregious tortious behavior. 

The first thing you need to do is to identify which behavior you think caused an injury and then show the amount that would compensate you for that injury.  This is particularly problematic in respect of things like fabrication of documents, forgery and perjury if the bank can show an entitlement to foreclose despite the illegal conduct.  You are going to have a proof problem not only as to your allegations of wrongdoing, but also to the measure of damages.

Even if you prove that you have been injured, absent proof of the actual amount of damages, you can end up with a judgment in your favor, but an award of only nominal damages (e.g. $1).  This is why plaintiff's lawyers almost never take wrongful foreclosure cases on a contingency.  They are making reasonable economic decisions, because even if the case is proven there is usually no meaningful damage award at the end of the case.
Quote 0 0
CWW
One amount of loss is the total amount of payments you have paid on the mortgage.  If you had received a modification , those payments would not have been lost.  In an illegal foreclosure , they are lost.
Quote 0 0
Write a reply...