Mortgage Servicing Fraud
occurs post loan origination when mortgage servicers use false statements and book-keeping entries, fabricated assignments, forged signatures and utter counterfeit intangible Notes to take a homeowner's property and equity.
Articles |The FORUM |Law Library |Videos | Fraudsters & Co. |File Complaints |How they STEAL |Search MSFraud |Contact Us

At your service?  - Washington Times, DC
BY Jeremy Herron and Stephen Bernard
October 30, 2007

A cancer diagnosis forced Lindsey Jennings to give up his government job. With less income, Mr. Jennings feared he might lose the home he and his wife, Pearl, built near Atlanta almost 20 years ago. So he asked for help.

But Mr. Jennings, who needed to lower his monthly mortgage payment, was rejected for a loan modification. The snub didn't come from the mortgage lender, but from a less likely source — the company that collects and processes the payments, the loan servicer.

All mortgage and student-loan payers know their servicer — it's the company that collects their monthly payments. The companies are an integral part of the complex mortgage sector with a relatively simple role, like a corporate payroll department.

But as the housing crash ravages the mortgage sector, millions of servicing contracts are changing hands as parent companies go bankrupt or pare back their lending activities. Amid the turmoil, even homeowners who pay their mortgages on time face the real possibility of falling behind on insurance or property-tax payments because of clerical errors at the servicer.

Tom Shaner, executive director of the Maryland Association of Mortgage Brokers, said homeowners should immediately learn whether their taxes and insurance are rolled into their mortgage.

"What's happening is a number of people either don't understand homeownership and this tax thing, or have had a home before and really didn't think about where the escrow was," Mr. Shaner said. "So they got the tax bill and are assuming the lender is paying it."

The local government can seize a home for nonpayment of taxes, even if a homeowner has been paying his or her mortgage, he emphasized.

"So you want to look real fast and check with your lender — are my taxes and my insurance in an escrow with your bank, or do I need to pay them directly?"

Mr. Shaner blamed the difficulties generally to "a combination of lenders, brokers and consumers [who] made choices or gave bad advice."

Homeowners such as the Jenningses, who try in good faith to salvage a troubled mortgage, find many servicers — the only point of contact for payers — unwilling, and in most cases not even able, to renegotiate terms.

"Sometimes we believe folks in the industry just aren't listening," said David Berenbaum, executive vice president of National Community Reinvestment Coalition (NCRC), an advocacy group that helps borrowers refinance or modify their mortgages.

One problem is that servicing operations are not designed to cater to customers, said Guy Cecala, publisher of Inside Mortgage Finance.

"They are like a factory," he said.

A recent survey by Moody's Investors Service showed that only 1 percent of loans to people with poor credit records that reset in the first three months of the year were modified. With 2 million of those subprime loans scheduled to reset in the next year, requests for modifications are certain to increase.

Some of the largest servicers are adapting, but Moody's said the changes are too slow to prevent a spike in defaults.

Chase Home Finance, a unit of JPMorgan Chase & Co. and the third-largest servicer with contracts for $722.8 billion worth of loans, said it has bolstered its staff that directly deals with customers in recent months. It also warns homeowners a few months ahead of when rates are scheduled to change.

Chase has some flexibility to modify loans on its own, but does have to run some requests by the mortgages' owners, said spokesman Thomas Kelly.

"The servicer is obligated to guide their actions by what's in the best interest of the owner," said Larry Platt, a lawyer with K&L Gates specializing in mortgage financing and consumer credit issues.

In most cases, the investor wants to avoid foreclosure — especially when that means taking possession of a property that is losing value. But if a "workout" merely forestalls the inevitable, that ultimately makes the foreclosure more costly.

Even if a servicer offers a modification that can help the borrower, it is "a clinical, unemotional cost calculus — there's not a social factor that is included in the analysis," Mr. Platt said.

That's partly the reason loan servicing remains a profitable corner of the mortgage market. But many of the largest servicers — eight of the top 30 — were or are in the process of being bought in the past year. That means servicing for loans with a value of $913.6 billion — or about 9 percent of the market — will change hands, which can cause clerical problems.

That's what happened with two of Patricia Walshe's loans. Ms. Walshe, who owns several investment properties in Frederick County, Md., discovered last month she was behind on her property taxes even though she had paid her mortgage on time. Her servicer, American Home Mortgage Corp. (AHM), had sent bad checks to the county. That meant Ms. Walshe faced having to pay, for a second time, half of the $8,000 annual tax bill on the two properties.

Ms. Walshe had few options. Her situation was resolved when, after nearly a month, the county received certified checks from American Home — 10 days before it would have started charging her interest.

Lori Decker, director of the treasury for Frederick County, said the second installment is due Dec. 31 and the county "still remains concerned that this will happen again."

If it does, Ms. Walshe said she would talk to her lawyer — and she would probably have an excellent case, said Anthony Sabino, a business and law professor at St. John's University.

"This is simply not supposed to happen. It's mind-boggling," he said. "If AHM took the funds out of those escrow accounts, the law has been seriously broken."

American Home did not return calls seeking comment.

A similar problem occurred with other American Home loans — though the affected home owners never learned they were at some risk. On Aug. 24, the servicer stopped making tax and insurance payments altogether for 4,547 loans it serviced for Freddie Mac. The government-sponsored mortgage financier seized the escrow accounts before American Home filed for bankruptcy, but the servicer would not release the account information, so Freddie Mac had no addresses to which to send the money.

Freddie Mac eventually settled with the company, clearing the way to pay $2.4 million in delayed property taxes and insurance premiums.

John Facada, a mortgage loan officer for Alliance Home Funding in Fairfax, Va., said there are ways to avoid such problems.

"Pay the loan servicer yourself," he said. "A lot of lenders want that but they feel that the homeowner would be hard-pressed to come up with a big chunk of money at one time."

Another option would be to "find out who actually owns the loan and then see if they can have a different servicer who can work on that, " Mr. Facada said. *

Mr. Shaner urged homeowners to always try to work something out before knowingly defaulting on payments.

The Jenningses are still in their Atlanta-area home — for now. With NCRC's help, they were able to arrange a two-year plan. The consumer group persuaded the servicer to drop demands for an upfront payment.

The Jenningses now have a fixed interest rate for two years — a workout similar to the type Chase offers. The couple is worried they will fall behind again when their loan adjusts, unless they refinance before then.

*Naive advice coming from a loan officer, assuming he knows how securitization works.  Yeah, just tell investors you want to work with servicers who do not engage in Mortgage Servicing Fraud.....he makes the impossible sound so simple. 

Quote 0 0
Joe B
Actually even  more disturbing is the fact that they got a loan "work-out" that is nothing more than a fixed rate for two years before it adjusts again...

So, the lender gets to count this loan as a work-out, or modification on their books, but the homeowner could end up right back in misery when the loan resets in 2 years. How stupid do these people think we are?

Good grief!

JB
Quote 0 0
Joe B.
In my view Mods and loan "work outs" are essentially cover-ups particularly when they involve borrowers releasing right to future claims.  You're correct, for the most part they just prolong the agony but they also can effectively silence the borrower, keep any lurking regulators at bay and provide phoney "do good" press spin for lender or servicer.
Quote 0 0
Joe B
Blossom-

Thank you for pointing out the other thing I forgot to mention. You are right, these poor people undoubtedly signed a release essentially hushing them from saying or doing anything to protect themselves against these guys.

The other sad thing about this piece, is it looks like this guy actually thinks he got a good deal, and this organization helped him! It's a shame really that no one is really educating these folks about what is and what is not a good deal.

On the one hand, he kept his house, and let's not underestimate how big a deal that is. I am sure there was a great deal of relief to he and his family that they were able to keep the house, and I truly get that! However, it didn't solve the problem at all... it simply prolonged it!!! And like Blossom correctly pointed out, all his rights to correct any misdeeds that might have occurred up to this point are forever erased by the release that they had to sign to get this "deal."

However, the lender gets to add one to the "work out column" and begin the press spin program at full speed! UGH!!!

JB
Quote 0 0
The only thing that is going to assist borrowers fighting mortgage servicing fraud by a mortgage servicer would be mandatory compliance with
"Best Practices" with costly fines and fees to be paid to the borrower.

As long as the political atmosphere is that fraud is now legal, people will find themselves fleeced and no way to prosecute servicers.

Who will be the first to recognize it is the very same players that fleeced Wall Street investors that are fleecing borrowers at the other end?

Why not just tell the public that taking out a mortgage is like shooting fish in barrel?  You will lose your down payment.  You will lose your equity.  You will lose your monthly payments to "unearned fee assessments", the servicer's
center of profit.  You will find yourself in default eventhough your payments are current.  They are using the computer's program to place borrower's in default when it clearly inappropriate.

Fraud against borrowers is condoned through the lack of oversight and zero legislation to protect those borrowers that just want to pay their mortgage.

I've seen many statements about the borrower taking out too much loan.

How about a study on servicers that can easily double your payments through the impound process?

Nearly double it again with force placed hazard insurance eventhough
you have a policy in force which they will not recognize.

How often do sericers hold a borrower's payment that was made timely
to become a vehicle for the late fee assessment that is unearned.
It's simple to do.  Program the computer to make the late fee assessment
and give customer service reps NO authority whatsoever to correct the record.

How many times does the servicer notify the credit bureaus regarding the
phony late fee assessments, ruining the borrower's credit and ability to refinance the disgustingly worst mortgage contracts known to humankind?

Dee

When people stop trying to get a mortgage what will happen to the economy?
Quote 0 0
Quick fyi, - this is a New York AP piece in case anyone wants to get in touch with the authors.

(202) 776-9400
Quote 0 0
Hi,
I recieved and insurance renewal for my property. The statement read THIS IS NOT A BILL, THE PAYOR OF YOUR POLICY HAS BEEN INVOICED. My mortgage servicer did not pay the bill but placed force insurance instead at a much higher rate. After the 2 notices of Evidence of Insurance, I found that they did pay the renewal and did not tell me and also placed the forced insurance. I am facing backruptcy because I could not afford all the added fees they charged from the time my mortgage was sold to them.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Quote 0 0
Contact all of your lawmakers, especially at the federal level and state too.  Call your Attorney General for your state that should be handling consumer issues.

During a House Financial Services Committee hearing on Sub prime lending several of the participants noted that it all breaks down to (3) important components, the borrower, the lender(s) and the investor.

Now go figure who has the most clout in all of this and see how all of this plays out. 

It was also brought up that some investors bet on - that homeowners will loose their homes to foreclosures.
Quote 0 0
4 justice now
Damn!... for some reason I continually get the distinct feeling that every one out there, except for those of us here of course, is either a low-life bottom-feeding fraudster, or simply one who is blissfully ignorant but will soon be victimized.

What the hell is going on with this country now... Has all our so-called representatives and/or leaders been collectively and surreptitiously been castrated or lobotomized or both while they slept?

Even though they stole our hard earned equity..  I, at least still have my "boys".

Sorry about that, just another week of too much reality.

Thx,

4J 

Quote 0 0
Write a reply...