Mortgage Servicing Fraud
occurs post loan origination when mortgage servicers use false statements and book-keeping entries, fabricated assignments, forged signatures and utter counterfeit intangible Notes to take a homeowner's property and equity.
Articles |The FORUM |Law Library |Videos | Fraudsters & Co. |File Complaints |How they STEAL |Search MSFraud |Contact Us
Moose
I'm pretty sure this is happening and there really is no excuse for it.

Basically, a couple I know got a letter from their servicer on the 24th. It was a notice of no insurance and stated that they had to respond within 15 days or insurance would be placed. (But of course, they have current insurance!)

It was dated the 2nd.  The envelope had no USPS date cancellation stamp.

This in an of itself should be illegal.  If there is a date associated with a required response, they should not be able to send a letter in non USPS date-stamped cancelled mail.

Just more Moose ramblings you may want to pass on to your legislator.

Moose

Quote 0 0
arkygirl
Everyone here needs to have a "Received" stamp. Stamp the envelope and put the date of receipt from anything from the servicers. Buy the stamp at Staples, Office Depot, Wal-Mart, these stamps are widely available.

Not as good as a postmark, I know, but we are all on to the trick of aging these letters (just like they will age payments until after the due date) so that they are not received until after some critical date has passed.

It couldn't hurt to do this since they all seem to use prepaid postage that doesn't receive a regular postmark. It is at least an attempt to keep up with it all and may help if a court battle looms.
Quote 0 0
Joe B
Moose-

You probably already know this, but...please tell your friend to send an immediate letter stating the date on the letter, lack of date on the envelope, (put in a copy), date it was received etc., and then whatever insurance information they have. Send it certified, you know the drill.

i.e. "I am in receipt of your letter dated blah, whose envelope was not postmarked (please see enclosure), and received by me on blah blah, informing me of..."

This way, they can at least go back to it later if necessary and demonstrate the chain of events. Incidentally, I don't think they can do anything with 15 days notice. In other words, I don't know that any fees or assessments can be done on such short notice. I seem to recall a minimum of 30 days, but I could be wrong...

Nevertheless, your friend should get this done ASAP to avoid what we all know is coming!!

Good luck!

JB
Quote 0 0

Any chance at all that the letter was hand delivered?

Quote 0 0
Although I never got a loan with Ameriquest and therefore could not have an escrow never the less Ameriquest still made the claim I had quit paying my regular homeowners even though Ameriquest had a record of paying for it though escrow and a record though American family.

By any chance does this borrow pay the insurance though their Servicer or lender.

Quote 0 0
Moose
Mike Dillon wrote:

Any chance at all that the letter was hand delivered?

No, it was one of a small number of typical envelopes in the mail box.

FYI - the RESPA letter went out.  It will be interesting to see the response. But still, the question remains, without a USPS cancellation, who can actually determine the date an item was mailed?

And why is the industry given the benefit of the doubt in these cases?

Moose

Quote 0 0
It's amazing how financial crooks can send mail without date stamps.

Lenders, insurance companies, I'm sure we can add to this list.

We then get back dated bills and have no proof.

Doesn't this fall under some sort of wire fraud or similar law?

Quote 0 0
Write a reply...